BOTH parties must be present.
If either party is a Rhode Island resident apply for the license at either party’s City/Town they reside in.
If BOTH parties are NOT a Rhode Island resident, the marriage license must be obtained where the ceremony is to take place.
- Certified birth certificates in English of both persons. (Birth certificate issued by local or state registrar, not certificates issued by hospitals.)
- A valid photo identification for both persons.
- Certified copy of FINAL DECREE OF DIVORCE in the event of a previous marriage or a CERTIFIED DEATH CERTIFICATE in the event of the death of a spouse (must have a certified seal)
- Pre-marital blood test or physical are NOT REQUIRED
- BOTH parties must physically present themselves at the Town Clerk’s Office to sign the license and attest to the information listed thereon
- The Town Clerk’s Office issues Marriage Licenses between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (8:30 am – 3:30 pm during summer hours – June 21 thru Labor Day.) Note: The Town Clerks Office closes at 12:00 pm on Christmas Eve & New Years Eve. Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8:30 am and 11:00 am on those two days.
- Both parties must be eighteen (18) years of age or older
- Females age sixteen (16) or seventeen (17) or if the bride (regardless of age) is under the control of a legal guardian MUST COMPLETE A MINOR’S PERMIT (obtained in the Town Clerk’s Office)
- Females under sixteen (16) and males under eighteen (18) MUST OBTAIN APPROVAL FROM FAMILY COURT. Contact the Town Clerk’s Office for more information.
A marriage license is valid for ninety (90) days from the date issued, and if not used, should be returned to the place of issuance.
- The cost is twenty-four ($24.00) dollars.
- Cash and checks accepted: Make checks payable to Town of North Providence
- No Charges are accepted.
Marriage records on file in the Town Clerk’s Office date back to 1874. Records 100 years old and older are public records. All records less than 100 years old are only available by request to the person named on the record or to a immediate family. Prior to above date all records will be available in the Pawtucket City Hall.
- Enter the Town Clerk’s Office
- Present a picture identification of yourself. OR
- Request certificate by mail, enclose copy of your photo identification
- Fill out request form
- Enclose check or money order made payable to “Town of North Providence”
- Mail request to: Town Clerk’s Office, 2000 Smith Street, North Providence, RI 02911
- State your full name (maiden name), spouse’s name, date or marriage
- Please send a self addressed stamped envelope
$20.00 for the first certificate and $15.00 for each additional certificate when ordered simultaneously.
For further information please call Town Clerk’s Office, at 232-0900, ext. 214